Sunday, June 28, 2009

Way back when, in early June....

Let’s flashback a couple of weeks for a sec, shall we? I spent my first rotation in the Lab as Producer. How much fun to help 3 enterprising directors and their amazingly talented actors, designers, ADs and SMs realize their vision. What struck me in particular was the combination of variety and similarity I found in the rehearsal rooms of all 3 processes. Each director shared a common interest in storytelling, but with a musical, a classic verse text and a new play to contend with, the routes taken to accomplish these goals varied widely. Something that was consistently fascinating to watch was Sherri’s work on Really Rosie, the first of our Kiddstuff shows. Really Rosie (for those of you not familiar with the cartoon) is a musical with book and lyrics by Maurice Sendak and music by Carol King. As Sherri had never directed a musical before, it was incredibly inspiring to see the enthusiasm which she dived into it – learning how to work with a Choreographer and discovering how much of what she already does as a director of non-musical work – table work, actor/director devised moments etc. can be applied to this show. As I look forward to Busytown, which will be my first time directing a musical, it’s great have such an inspirational example.

First rotation was a huge lesson for me in leadership. I learned so much about how to support an artist in the midst of his or her process. Sometimes this means a frantic run to the gas station to pick up lighter fluid for the Zippo. Other times it just means listening and letting someone vent their frustrations to a friendly ear. The question I came back to over and over again was – how can I make each person’s job simpler for them to focus on? – clear away the clutter, as it were, so they can deal with the problem in front of them as opposed to this interpersonal conflict or that vagary of unforeseen circumstance.

Producing remains one of my passions, but, as the rotation came to a close, I found myself hungry for the rehearsal room and to get started on the Bacchae. More on that soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment